Saturday, August 22, 2009

Brianna's 8 today!





8 years ago today, my Brianna Linda was born. Here's the story about the day she graced the world with her presence.

She was due on August 21st but decided to wait another day. Dr. Lippard was my OB/GYN and he was sure it would be a boy (no ultrasound of course) and that he would be 8lbs and 5 ozs. I had my last appointment in the morning on August 22nd, 2001 and the doctor says, “You’re leaking.” Um…………ok, what the hell does that mean?! This is my first child and I don’t know if that’s good or bad. He takes out this little test strip and shows it to me that it’s blue and says we are having a baby today. He told Juan and I to go right to the hospital and that he would be there later. So, off we went.

I wasn’t having any contractions or pain or anything so it seemed like cake to me. We were in the car and Juan turns to me and asks if it would be ok if we stopped for something to eat. (This story will seem very similar when I write about my son's birthday tomorrow!) I said, “Sure! No problem!” We stopped at Jack-in-the-box and he got something and we sat in the car while he ate. I didn’t want to eat anything because I have heard lots of horror stories of women throwing up during labor. We got to the hospital at about noon and got admitted and I was finally in a bed at 12:35ish. Still no contractions. No pain. No nothing. I was great. A doctor came in a broke my water some time around 1pm. By 2:30, still no contractions or anything. The nurse came in and started an IV with the medication that starts labor at around 3pm and had to increase it slowly every 45 minutes to an hour because it just wasn’t working. Right around 6pm is when I really started to feel it and asked for an epideral. That was the weirdest feeling ever! I almost tossed my cookies when I felt that needle go into my back. My mom and mother-in-law were there to help hold me up while they did that and, boy, am I glad they did! It took just a few minutes for that to set in and then I was great again. I felt nothing! A little after 7pm, the nurse came in to check how far dialated I was and she said I was ready to have my baby. I still couldn’t feel anything. I was watching Family Guy and I was good. I had the “crew” there which consisted of Juan, my mom, his mom, my dad and I think, my sister. I can’t remember if she stayed or not.

I think the doctor got there around 7:15 and got me ready, explained what I would need to do (tell the “crew” when I was having a contraction so I could push and they can help), and off we went. I had my first contraction and I pushed. Between the first and second push there were dolphins on Family Guy and I said, “Oooh, look! Dolphins!” Everyone started laughing. Then came the next one. I pushed. He said that the head was coming out. Between the second and third contraction there were some UGLY shoes on the screen and this time I didn’t say anything but I made an ugly face. “The Crew” thought I was having another contraction and got me all ready to go…I told them, “No, it was the shoes on TV.” Then the 3rd push happened at 7:35pm and we had an 8lb 1oz baby girl!! The doctor said, “It’s a girl!” Juan was so happy, my parents were happy, and his mom was happy. I was super surprised because we decided not to find out the sex of the baby. I wanted a girl so I could dress her up and do her hair and all the stuff you dream about with your baby dolls when you are little. Unfortunately, she didn’t have any hair until she was almost 2. I actually had to correct A LOT of people when they would say, “Awww, he’s so cute!”

Anyway, she looked just like her father when he was born and she was beautiful. I told the doctor that the other 4 ounces must have fallen off with body part she was missing. He laughed. My dad took off to go get me dinner since I hadn’t eaten all day. He got me a steak and baked potato from Bill Johnson’s or Sizzler or someplace like that.

And the journey continues.


Brianna is smart, pretty, funny, a brat, emotional and all the things anyone could ask for (or not ask for) in a little girl. She helps out around the house when she feels like it, she loves to get into things, she likes to dig in mommy’s jewelry drawer, she's creative and she asks lots of questions. She can read like no one's business and she actually loves to read just like I did. I just can’t believe it’s been 8 years already. Time flies when you’re having fun!!




3 comments:

Jose said...

Ah there's a face I know. Happy birthday to my princess.

Michelle said...

That last picture is classic Nani! I love her even if she's a big whiny brat... cuz you know I have one of those too... actually like two of them.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember us driving the night before your due date to go to the store to buy like bread or something... we even had the video camera and recorded our trip. You member, member? And I remember my mom pulling us out of school mid-day when they admitted you into the hospital. Wow I can't believe that was 8 years ago! Our little (huge monster) baby is so big now. And still as beautiful as she was when I first saw her.

She makes me proud. She made me a Tia. I love my Nani.

Anonymous said...

oh brianna!