Sunday, January 11, 2009

Leadership

I have 16 people that report to me at work, all of them are men except for one lady that has worked for Cox for 20+ years. These 16 people take the calls from customers that call in and say, "I want to talk to a supervisor!" My guys take those calls. About a year and a half ago they all reported into 16 different people and I put together a "plan" to take all of them under me and give up my very high performing team to help them out. They had horrible morale, they were inconsistent in their answers, they had lots of customer complaints...etc. As soon as I took the team over, I went out on maternity leave to have my son. I came back in October 08 and they were still struggling pretty bad. This is where Leadership kicks in. I shared my plan with them. I shared my life with them. I shared my aspirations with them. In turn they shared with me and opened up to let me help them. They had to know I wasn't the bad guy and I wasn't just trying to get rid of all of them. I did terminate quite a few of them, but it had to be done.

I went into work this last Thursday and one of my guys that I let have the 1st half of the day off came up to me and handed me a gift card. He said he had it since just before Christmas and it was from the team. I had been on vacation and he had some days off so we didn't see each other and he couldn't just "leave it on my desk." Understandably, it was for $120.00! I was floored! These guys put up with so much and they don't make enough to compensate for all the times they have been cussed at or yelled at and I get a gift card from them.

I took my parents and my family out to lunch today with it after church.

The reason I did that was because if I didn't have the family I do, I wouldn't be able to do my job the way it needs to be done. They understand that when January comes around, it's Review time and I have to work a bit more than normal. If I didn't have my parents teach me to be a leader, I wouldn't be in the position I am in. My dad has more knowledge about workplace things and more experience than I will ever know. Anytime I have something come up at work or I need to make a decision, I call my Dad. My mom has an impeccable work ethic. I don't think she missed one day of work when she worked for AT&T. No matter what she was there when she was supposed to be and she worked lots of overtime to help pay the bills. They may think that they haven't been "model parents" but they are. I strive to be just like them in my work and home lives.

So, that was a "Thank you for teaching me to be a leader!" lunch.

2 comments:

Jose said...

Congratulations! Not everybody can be a leader.

Chely said...

When I was in school, I always tend to stay in the background. I didn’t really do much to stand out. Quite honestly, I was lost.

I grew up watching my parents work though and listened to their day-to-day stories they’d share with the family during dinner every night. Listening to their experiences molded me to want to be a successful person, just like them! Yes, although my parents never performed a high-level job, their achievements to date, (considering their professions) equals success to me.

I had not realized out loud, that I enjoyed becoming a leader until I was invited to become a part of Primerica Financial Services. This multi-level company broadened all possibilities for me & challenged me to step OUT of my comfort zone and to allow myself to dream and REACH for my goals through helping others.

Both of the influences above, have empowered me to always be the best I can be at whatever I’m doing
and have allowed me to see that before I could be a great leader, I had to learn to be a greater follower.

I applaud you for following the great example that is your parents and for recognizing this gift God has bestowed upon you and putting it to great use. People like you, that step up to help others and share their failures and successes, are the ones I love to follow.

Congratulations on your achievements!