Monday, January 5, 2009

Don't Call Me That...

So, when my sister-in-law and I were putting this blog together for me, we somehow came up with Jenny from the Blog as a name. I HATE being called Jenny and actually there are only about 3 people that can call me that and get away with it. The reason that I hate it is because it seems a little childish and it makes me think back to when I had pony tails and a pink dress. For those of you that really know me, you know that I didn't really wear dresses until about 9 years ago or so. I was never a "girly girl" growing up. When I was in school I was a gymnast and then played softball until I got out of high school. I have 2 older brothers and I had to fend for myself because my older sister was much older than me and wasn't around when I was getting beat up...

I've decided that I need to get over it.

I am an adult and I know that when people call me Jenny, there's a reason for it. It doesn't really matter why. There was an old story that one of my bosses told me about when we were going to lunch and a song came on that reminded him of someone. He said that there are times throughout the day when things happen, you pass by some place, a song comes on the radio, or you meet someone with a certain name and it takes you back. It brings back a memory; good or bad. So, if someone meets me or speaks my name and it brings back a memory, who am I to take that away from them?

If you call me that just to do it, it might irritate me a little but I'll be just fine but you will be the one having to lay your head down at night knowing that you did something to someone just to hurt their feelings.

I'm the lucky one to have 3 different ways to say the same name. Thanks Grandma!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

::ala Forrest Gump:: "I always loved my Jen-nay!"

I understand... sometimes when I meet new people or something... they are always asking me if I go by something shorter. No! My name is Michelle and that's it! And a lot of people ask me if I go by Shelly. I HATE that name. Actually Nichole used to call me that growing up and it never bothered me... but she's the only person. And I have no idea when she started calling me that.

I guess it's kinda ironic that way... because I ALWAYS shorten peoples names or elongate them.

My friend Dawn... became Dawn Marie
My friend Nessa (her real name)... became Vanessa Jean
You... became Jen
Frank (Vane's)... became Franklin
In high school I had a friend named Tim (just like that) and I was the only one who called him Timothy. But that wasn't his name.

Kinda funny.

No one ever complained when I changed their name. It was kinda special.

Michelle said...

Oh and I am like the ONLY person in our family who has NEVER called Nichole... Nikki. I don't think she is a Nikki and I can never ever call her that. Weird?

Jose said...

Well hello "Jenny" welcome to blogland. Like in the movie "Fields of Dreams" "If you write it, I will read...".

I remember once I called you Jenny and I was shot down. lol But do you remember my dad used to call you Jenny all the time?

I really want to hear from you guys so I hope you keep up with your posts. Bloggind sholdn't take too much of your time and it should be fun. I am looking forward to your future posts.

Again, welcome to blogland.

Chely said...

Hello Jenny,

Actually, I think I’ve only called you Jenny once. Thank you for sharing this “peeve” with us because I would have never guessed that you dislike it.

I too welcome you to Blog-Land and am also looking forward to reading what you’ll share with us. Being the only one in my family living in California, Blogging has definitely become a bridge that shortens the distance with all of you. I don’t have the opportunity to know much about you and your beautiful family and I appreciate the invitation to be a part of your world.

I’m looking forward to learn from your Inspirational Thoughts: Learned, Lived, and Taught

Besitos,

Tia Chely