Saturday, April 25, 2009

Another one on Impact

Recently, I have started working every other Saturday and today was my Saturday to work. So I'm sitting there and I get an email from one of the reps that used to report to me in Technical Support. Other than the occasional "Hey, how's it goin?" on instant messenger, I haven't really talked to her since she reported to me. She was inviting me to her graduation at ASU in mid-May.

Rewind the time to about 3 years ago. I had a girl named LaDonna and another girl named Amanda on my team. Both of them were going to school and each semester, their classes would change and thus the days and times of the classes would change. I would need to work their schedules around their school schedules and then change them back when school let out. It really wasn't hard work. It was only a matter of checking with them to see what their new schedules would be and then making sure we could accommodate them. 99% of the time I could make it work for them. So this went on for quite some time until I chose to take on a new team. This was every day work for me and didn't seem to impact anyone too seriously.

Now fast forward back to today. The message I got said, "I'm graduating! I couldn't have done it without you supporting me and I want you to come and see what you helped me do." My heart filled so fast and I was so proud of her (LaDonna) and it took everything I had not to pour out the tears. I said, "I will be there!" I honestly felt very honored to be invited. I have really only been to graduations for family. 

Then, it wasn't but 2 hours later, I got a text message from Amanda. She said, "Hey Jen, I was wondering if you would want to come to my graduation on May 14th." I asked her where it was and she said at ASU West. I let her know that I would already be there for LaDonna's graduation but I wouldn't miss it for the world. She then said, "I couldn't have done it without you helping me with my schedule and understanding how important my education was to me." Again, I was full of emotions and so proud of her. 

Whodathunkit!? Just by doing something that seemed so little, these 2 women are graduating with their BA degrees from ASU. For those of you that haven't read "How Full is Your Bucket?" maybe this one can describe the feeling....My cup runneth over.

I will post some pictures of the graduation when that day comes. 

2 comments:

Jose said...

Ahhh, the rewards of being a great leader. Congrats to your girls but congrats to you too for being flexible. Truste me, not everybody has that kind of sensibility.

Michelle said...

Aww you're so nice... and that's just so you. Doing stuff for others whether it's big or small... you're awesome! Congrats to these girls!