Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We can do stuff

When I am offered the opportunity to hear the Sr VP and General Manager of my company speak, call me a teacher's pet, but I LOVE to hear this man speak. I am always at the edge of my seat and hanging on to every word he says. He always speaks from his heart and you can always tell when he is passionate about the subject he is presenting.

This past Wednesday, he spoke to us at leadership conference. He told stories and jokes like he always does but he told us a most interesting story about a Native American man named Ernest Evans who served in World War II as a captain of a destroyer ship in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. He spoke of this man's unending positivity and how much he truly lived the cliche of "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." He would take his situations and make the best of them and be the best at whatever he was doing. Before he became a captain of his own little ship he manned a tugboat that pulled the aircraft carriers into their spaces. He made the best of it and did his best - Always.

He went on to tell us of the story of the day this battle unfolded and how Captain Evans never backed down when rightfully and justifiably they could and they would receive no flack for it. The Japanese were shooting rounds at their little destroyer ship that if just one hit it in the right place, it would sink it. One shot. Captain Evans was out there on the bridge and watching out for what was going on. He got hit, lost some fingers, his clothes were destroyed but did he quit? No way. One shot ended up hitting the motor that helped to steer the ship and some of the crew begged him to turn back and retreat. He refused. Instead, he went down to the manual steering mechanism and began to steer the ship by hand. All while continuing closer into the Japanese's firing line. It began to rain and so the Japanese were unable to see what the little destroyer had behind it. Surely, it wouldn't keep coming their way if it was all by itself. The Japanese were a bit worried and continued to fire their arms. Finally, the ship was hit and it sunk with the captain on board. Doing all he could and doing his absolute best.

So when the Sr VP was talking about this guy, I was amazed that someone could grab my attention when it came to history but he did. So the VP went on to say that we, as leaders, "we can do stuff!" Doesn't necessarily sound like the words that would come out of such a high up leader. BUUUT, he eats in the cafeteria with us and doesn't treat anyone any different than the way he wants to be treated - Like a human being.

He really believes in us as leaders and knows that when it comes down to it, each and every one of us would fight the good fight for the company we work for and we would do our best at it. We work as a team and lead our people well. We aren't afraid to get in the trenches and work right next to our people.

"We can do stuff!"

Please notice I didn't use his name or my company's name in this blog and I would ask that you respect that and not do it either.

1 comment:

Connie J said...

I will only mention that you have always been one of my favorite... no I would say inspiring leaders I have ever worked with. You are someone I will compare all future leaders too (in a good way).... You helped me face the tough decision to move back to CA and leave behind all my co workers and friends, but you knew my true happiness would be found here with my family. Thank you for being a leader that I had the pleasure of learning from :)